Have you seen this truck? Honk if you have. We are working on the I-5 / Ortega Highway Interchange Improvement Project.
The Ortega Highway Interchange Improvement Project , initiated by Caltrans, OCTA and the City of San Juan Capistrano, is the solution to the “choke point”, where significant delay and congestion occur along the Ortega Highway (SR-74) at the San Diego Freeway (I-5) interchange.
The project will:
• Construct a new traffic interchange that will replace the existing I-5 / Ortega Highway interchange
• Reconstruct the existing Ortega Highway bridge over the I-5
• Widen existing on- and off-ramps
• Construct a new northbound I-5 loop on-ramp from eastbound Ortega Highway
• Realign Ortega Highway to the west of the I-5 interchange to curve into Del Obispo instead of continuing straight Into Camino Capistrano
• Provide congestion relief to improve local traffic flow as well as ease regional commutes
• Relieve the existing traffic congestion chokepoint at the I-5 / Ortega Highway Interchange
• Improve traffic safety and operations at the I-5 / Ortega Highway interchange
• Eliminate existing geometric deficiencies
• Create consistency with existing and planned local development